Hitting the trails on your ATV with a group of friends or your family can be fun and stress-relieving! Having fun may be your goal, but safety needs to be your priority while riding. The number of ATV-related accidents and injuries in 2017 was a staggering 15,000! To help avoid injury while using your ATV, follow these safety tips!
- Protective Equipment: Always wear a DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves.
- Trails: Never ride on paved roads except to cross, when done safely and where permitted by law. Stick to the trails!
- Don’t Drink and Ride: Never ride an ATV under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Passengers: While on a designated single-rider ATV, never carry a passenger. Never carry more than 1 passenger on an ATV designated for 2 people.
- Age-Appropriate: Ensure you are always riding an ATV that is right for your age.
- Supervise Children: Supervise any rider under the age of 16. ATVs are not toys!
- Safety Course: Consider taking an ATV safety course and get safety certified.
We hope you have a great riding season. Enjoy the trails and stay safe! For more information on ATV safety or on ATV insurance, please contact one of our agents!