According to the U.S. Fire Administration, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day are the top three days for home fires caused by candles. A candle is an open flame, so it can easily ignite anything flammable that it comes in contact with. So make sure you enjoy those holiday-scented candles safely this season by following these safety tips:
- Place lit candles at least one foot away from anything potentially flammable. This includes papers, drapery, blankets, and books or magazines.
- Do not leave a burning candle unattended, even for a few minutes. Blow out candles if you leave the room or go to bed.
- Place candles on a flat, stable surface, and make sure they’re in a stable candle holder that will not easily tip over.
- Keep candles out of reach of young children and pets. They could inadvertently cause a fire by tipping over the candle or putting flammable material on or near the flame.
- Keep candles away from HVAC vents, fans, or draughty windows that could blow the flame onto other objects.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down unless it came in its own contained glass jar.
- When lighting a candle, keep hair and loose clothing away from the lighter or match. And make sure young children and pets stay clear.
- Choose battery-powered candles instead of flames if anyone in your home needs supplemental oxygen treatment.
- Don’t use flame candles as a light source during a power outage, as this can make it tempting to leave them unattended or carry them around. Use battery-powered lamps, flashlights, or electric candles instead,
Those fir, berry, or spice cookie-scented candles can make your home inviting for the holiday season, but a home fire would not make for a happy holiday. Follow these safety tips to keep your holiday happy, and contact our personal lines agents at Kamm Insurance Group to make sure your homeowners policy has a high enough replacement cost limit in case the worst were to happen.