Thanksgiving is a time to gather around the dinner table in the company of family and friends and be thankful for all that you have. Thanksgiving is also the peak day for home cooking fires, with unattended cooking as the leading factor. Keep your holiday full of laughter and fun by following these safety tips.
- Stay in the kitchen whenever your stove top is turned on.
- Stay at home when cooking your turkey and check it frequently.
- Keep children at least 3 feet away from the hot stove or oven at all times.
- Heat cooking oil slowly and watch it closely; it can ignite quickly!
- Keep a lid nearby to smother small grease fires. NEVER throw water on a grease fire!
- Always use turkey fryers outdoors and on level ground.
U.S. fire departments respond to an estimated 1,630 cooking fires on Thanksgiving Day, three and half times the fires on an average day. Keeping fire safety top of mind in the kitchen during the holiday will keep you from having a Thanksgiving disaster! Kamm Insurance Group hopes you and your family have a safe and joyous Thanksgiving!