Skip to main content

Vacant Property Insurance 101

If you leave your home unoccupied for weeks or months at a time, your standard homeowners insurance policy might not provide coverage for claims that occur while you’re not living in the home. Any related damages or losses would be entirely your responsibility unless you have vacant property insurance.

Vacant homes and those left unoccupied for extended periods are riskier to insure than homes occupied by the owner or a tenant. Emergency situations, like fires or floods, are detected much later than they would if an occupant were there, and unoccupied homes are appealing targets for burglars. Because of this, most typical homeowners insurance policies exclude claims from when the home is not occupied. So if you have a second home or otherwise plan to leave your home unoccupied for more than a couple weeks at a time, you should look into a separate vacant property policy,

If you plan to leave your home unattended for 30 days or more, you’ll want to purchase vacant property insurance. Contact your insurance agent before you leave to discuss how your insurance carrier defines vacancy. These are some scenarios where a homeowner might need standalone vacant property insurance:

  • You own a vacation home that you only visit a few times per year.
  • You recently purchased a new home, but you’re not able to move in for a month or more.
  • You have a job that frequently requires you to travel for extended periods of time.
  • You’re remodeling your home and won’t be living there during renovations.
  • You’re renting out your home and you’re in between tenants.

Whatever the reason you need vacant property insurance, Kamm Insurance Group is here to help! Ifyou have any questions or about whether you need vacant property insurance, please contact us and one of our experienced personal lines  advisors will be happy to help you!

Get a quote