Parents and kids alike love the magic of Halloween. Trick-or-treating, costumes, and candy: what could be better? As a parent, your children’s safety is a major concern during this holiday. Children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car on Halloween as on any other day of the year! Follow these safety tips to keep your kids safe while they’re trick-or-treating.
- Ensure all costumes, wigs, and accessories are fire-resistant.
- If your child will be out after dark, put reflective tape on their costumes and bags.
- Remove all makeup before your child goes to bed to prevent skin and eye irritation.
- At least one responsible adult should accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds.
- If older children are going out alone, agree on a specific route and time to come home.
- Instruct children to never enter a stranger’s home, not to eat any candy until they have returned home, and not get distracted by their phones or electronic devices when walking.
- Watch for children on roadways, crosswalks, medians, and curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully.
- Discourage new, inexperienced drivers from driving on Halloween.
Halloween should be a good time for everyone! Remain vigilant and safe while out and about. Enjoy your time with your children and remember, you’re never too old to dress up! Kamm Insurance Group hopes you and your loved ones have a spooky, fun, and safe Halloween!